How To Start¶
- Table of contents
- How To Start
DomotiGa (or Domotics) can be somewhat overwhelming for first-time user. In this chapter the terminology used by DomotiGa is described and the basic work flow how to get started.
The following terms are used in DomotiGa.
Click on the links for more detailed information.
A Device represents each switch, dimmer, temperature sensor, smoke detector, remote, etc in DomotiGa.
With the device, information is stored about the device state like e.g. on, off and temperature. The state information can be logged with every change, so that you e.g. know which temperature it was at what time of a certain day. The devices state changes are also used to execute events, but can also be controlled by events.
Multiple devices can use the the same interface.
An Event in DomitiGa is what automates things, with them you can execute actions based on conditions. Some examples of events are turning on the light when it is gets dark, send an email if somebody trips a motion sensor, play a “welcome home” sound if somebody opens the door.
Module¶The functionality of Domotiga is split into modules:
- For every interface there is a module
- Actions, like sending emails, play sounds or send twitter are implemented in a module
- Also things like Server_Stats, RRDTool are implemented using a module
- The source code of Domotiga is split into modules.
Modules can be enabled and disabled.
A plugin is another name for a module that is implemented through a class.
When DomotiGa development started, Gambas supported only modules but over time module have been converted to classes enabling a cleaner implementation and multi instances support.
Work Flow¶This is the recommended work flow to install and start using DomotiGa. This should get you familiar quickly with it, and result in a working system. The flow consists of:
- Installation of Operating System
- Installation of required 3rd party software dependencies, Gambas and MySQL
- Installation of DomotiGa
- First Time Setup of DomotiGa – This will setup the required database tables
- First Time configuration of DomotiGa – Sets your location and timezone information to calculate your sunrise and sunset times and create you first device
- Modules – Enable, disable or configure specific modules. It is recommended to leave it as default when you setup for the first time, a few standard modules are enabled by default already.
- Interfaces – Adds and configures interfaces. It is recommended to start with 1 interface only, and add devices and events in combination with this interface before adding additional interfaces.
- Devices – Add and configure a device, connected to an interface.
- Events – Add and configure an event, which will execute certain actions based on conditions.
During the First Time setup the default option is to start with a Demo database, which is highly recommended. This gives you the opportunity to play and learn DomotiGa, to get a good sense of the possibilities and options before you start to configure it for your final setup.
If you have problems¶
- Have a look at the pages linked in the right side-bar
- Search the Wiki pages for particular words
- If nothing found on the Wiki pages, also enable Issues, News, Changesets and Messages in the search window:
- Ask a question in the Support forum
- Raise a issue.
Once you solved the problem it is a good idea to update the wiki so that others can benefit and by writing it down you will not forget it and even further improve it.